Classic Madeleine Cakes
- Combine the eggs, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Whisk until thick and light in color, about 2 minutes.
- Mix together the all-purpose and cake flours with the baking powder. Sift twice through a cake sifter. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix it! Add the clarified butter, heavy cream, orange flower water or orange extract, and the vanilla. Stir gently until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic onto the top of the batter to prevent the batter from forming a skin.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 425°F. Use a pastry brush and brush butter into the Madeleine molds, making sure that your butter each crevice well. This will help the cakes get the nice golden butter color. Fill each mold 2/3 full of batter. Tap the mold on the table to allow the batter to settle.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven to 325°F and bake for 7 to 10 minutes more, until the madeleines are plate golden and just turning brown around the edges.
- Use the tip of knife to turn each cake out onto wire racks to cool slightly. Serve warm with fruit jams, compotes, sorbets, or custards.